Saturday, September 1, 2012

My body, not yours.


My body, not yours.
Too big, too small, too short, too tall; who is anyone to tell you that you are too anything to do something? “You are too short to play basketball,” or “You’re too tall to be a gymnast.” The person telling you these things doesn’t know your body and your abilities. Do they really know how much heart you have for that particular activity?
For me, I wanted to learn how to ride a motorcycle. The second after I asked my mom if I could try, her immediate response was, “You’re too little, you can’t.” Although I am a teenage girl and only 5’3” that is no reason I cannot ride a motorcycle. Yes, it would be challenging, but who isn’t up for a good challenge every once in a while? I know my own strength, and I know I can ride a motorcycle if I set my heart to it.
When people tell me I am too little, or too short to do something, it could possibly be the worst insult I could receive. There is nothing more disrespectful to me than telling me my size will hold me back from being successful at something. I know my body and I know what it can and cannot do. For this exact reason is why I don’t understand some doctors. I don’t comprehend why a doctor could tell me I have to sit out for a certain amount of time due to an injury.  They aren’t inside of my body; they don’t know how excruciating the pain is. How do they know how long I have to rest? Yes, I know it’s their job, but how do they have the right to sit me out. Shouldn’t that be my decision to know if I’m healthy enough to play?
Only you know your body, doctors may be able to diagnose you, but you know your limits. It’s important to understand these limits as well; you don’t want to overestimate your abilities. That’s when the term yolo (you only live once) comes in. We really do only live once so yes, you should live it to the fullest. But know your limits. You can do uncharacteristic things without looking incompetent and senseless. Too big, too small, too short, too tall; who is anyone to tell you you’re to anything to do something?
(400 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment