Sunday, January 27, 2013

A New Happily Ever After


A New Happily Ever After
Stated in Miss Representation “Between 1937 and 2005 there were only 13 female protagonists in animated movie. All of them, except one, had the aspiration of finding romance” (Davis.)  This came to me as a shock when I hear this statistic. It got me to wonder how many animated films in general have been based around love or romance since then.
Sure movies base their stories around relationships, but not every relationship in a movie has to turn into love. While looking through a Disney movie list from 2005 to 2012 it was my job to determine what was “finding romance.” I decided that if in the description of the movie they mentioned love or romance, it would count. As I continued my research I came to find that only 6 out of 126 Disney movies even mention love in their description. That is only 4.7% of movies that are dealing with love.
It wasn’t a surprise to me that the number of Disney “romance” movies has decreased since 2005. To me I feel like we have developed more independent characters for young girls to look up to. Brave is a fantastic example of this. Merida, the main character, has a spicy young girl who likes to make her own decisions. Although it is a “princess” movies it’s not your normal princess movies. Yes she lives happily ever after. But there is more than living happily ever after than finding the man of your dreams.
Disney’s movement to more independent woman characters could be a huge argument to the documentary Miss Representations. I think these statistics are arguing the ones in the documentary, but I still think that there is no way that media influence will be diminished completely. There is just no way that we can stop outside influences affect how children grow up.
(310 words.)

No comments:

Post a Comment