Thursday, January 10, 2013

Locked Down


Locked Down

Today in class our teachers informed us that we would do a practice lock down due to all the recent shootings. This got me thinking of what I would do if there was an actually shooting at our school.

Would I run and hide? Would I scream? Would I cry? Honestly I don’t know what I would do. I would most likely hide and cry I would be in so much shock I don’t think I’d be able to scream. But as we discuss this in class we begin to think of where we would hide. There are so many classrooms at my school with walls of windows, I feel like there is nowhere to be completely safe. It had been suggested to hide under tables, but what is that going to do for you? My newest idea was to jump up on a bookshelf and go into the ceiling tiles. To me this was a brilliant idea, till I came to the conclusion not every room has a book case to get up on and the ceiling tiles might now be able to hold my weight.

This topic really gets me thinking and I have had many debates about it. Lots of students bring up a good point that if there was to be a shooting, don’t you think it would be a student? And if they were a student here, don’t you think they would know where everyone is at? And if they know where everyone is at, we will all get shot anyways. I know this isn’t a very happy thing to think about but it’s completely true. Some people try to argue back with, “well what if it’s not a student?” In my opinion, if the shooter is set out to shoot, than they are crazy anyways and with that crazy mind going who knows the creative ways they can get into the building. If they are set out to shoot someone, they will. A lot of people don’t want to hear that but do you honestly think a shooter will walk up to the door, begin to jiggle the handle, then walk away just because it’s locked… I don’t think so.

In the end I think it’s good our school is practicing this procedure, but I don’t think it is very realistic. I don’t think there is any way we can really know how we would all react if something terrible like a shooting happened at our school.

(416 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment