Sunday, February 3, 2013

The Struggle


The Struggle
Homework, what’s the point? Homework is just an opportunity for kids to copy each other’s work sheets and get out of things. You walk into school at about 7:30 and you just see a bunch of kids running around trying to find someone in their class who has finished the worksheet that due that morning.
I think it would be more beneficial for us to go to school a bit longer, and not have any homework. Or instead of homework things like projects, which actually require us to do our own work would teach us more than having a worksheet due.
If we went to school a bit longer, I think it would fix many things in high schools everywhere. For one I think it would create fewer absences. Kids like to avoid school because they didn’t finish their homework for a certain class. By not giving out homework, there would be no absences because of homework completion.
Another thing that could be fixed would be how much we actually learn. There have been so many times I come home and have no idea how to do my homework. With the help of peers and teacher at school I wouldn’t have that problem. By having resources with me at school, I am able to finish my work, and feel confident I am doing it correctly.
People don’t like school because it’s hard. It’s even harder when you don’t have the motivation for it. There are so many distractions when you come home to do your homework. While at school, you can’t be distracted by facebook, twitter, instagram, the TV, or the computer. School is just a better environment for work rather than at home.
Some say homework is necessary to survive in the real world. But honestly, I don’t know many people who have to come home after work and have to do a worksheet. I guess it matters your occupation but I don’t know of any jobs that require homework. So I guess my question is what’s the point? Do teachers enjoy seeing kids struggle and get confused? I just don’t get it.  
(400 words)

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree! I can't even count the amount of times I have been approached by someone asking if they could copy my worksheet, and I'll admit, I'm guilty of it too. When most people come home from their occupation, they don't have to sit down and continue working for four more hours. It's not preparing us for the real world at all. And homework doesn't teach; teachers teach. I would rather spend time having a teacher explain something than go home and struggle on a worksheet.

    ReplyDelete