Thursday, May 2, 2013

Simply Amazing

Simply Amazing

Every little kid has a dream about what they want to do when they grow up. Mine was to be on Broadway. I just knew I was born to star in the play Annie as the freckled red headed orphan. But these plans have drastically changed. I no longer sing, dance, or act. So I think Broadway may be a little out of the question.

Sense Broadway didn’t really work out, I have completely changed directions. I would like to major in Special Education while I am in college. My main goal is to become a middle school autism or special needs teacher.

Over the past few years I have gotten the opportunity to work with a few of these amazing kids. It’s so interesting to me how they learn and grow. I think they are underestimated on their abilities. These kids have special talents, that people who don’t have problems learning would struggle with tremendously. Some of these kids may have better memories, math skills, or even musical skills. You never know what they are really capable of doing till you observe them in their own environment.

This summer is when I had decided that this is what I really want to do. The turning point for me was watching my buddy Clayton. Clayton is almost completely nonverbal, so of course he is behind for his grade on learning. Although he cannot talk correctly, this kid would never fail to put you in a good mood. Just looking at him can put a smile on your face. Just image a 5’7” seventh grader with his tan skin and a nice slicked back comb over, manipulating his skin and bone body in ways you didn’t think were humanly possible. The way he can bend his body is like Gumby, I swear he has no bones, and then suddenly he’ll just burst into a big loud laughter for no apparent reason in order for you to smile. It’s like he knows the perfect timing on when you need a pick me up, to me there is nothing better than this kid.

It’s not just Clayton to be inspired by, it’s all of them. They have their own corks that can just make you giggle. It’s things like these that just persuade me more into this career. I honestly could not picture myself doing anything else. I have my heart set.

(400 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment