Sunday, October 7, 2012

Fresh Start


Fresh Start
When it comes to college, I just want to get out of Iowa. I don’t care what state I go to, I just need to be away from home. A lot of people don’t understand why I want to leave so bad, it’s not that I want to get away from my family and close friends as most people think. It’s that I feel like college is supposed to be a whole new experience for me.
As you go from elementary school to middle school, you know a handful of people making the transition with you. Then you transition from middle school to high school, still knowing 1 out of 10 people you pass in the hall way or more. I’m getting kind of sick of making transitions with everyone I know.
 I want to go to college and have there be no one from my town at the school if I had it my way. I feel like if I didn’t know anyone, I would have such a greater opportunity to meet new people. People always ask me if I think I would miss all my friends. All I can say is if I really want to see someone from high school, that’s who I would come back and visit or make an effort to communicate with. They also ask about my family, I love my family no doubt about it. But they also want me to get the best experience I can out of college, it’s a once in a lifetime thing to start over socially. I know grandma isn’t too happy about it, but maybe I’ll have to set her up with skype for us to stay in touch.
One of my pet peeves is when people choose a college in order to stay close to a significant other, what happens when that relationship tarnishes? With my decision of not going to college with anyone I know, I don’t have to worry about that drama. To me it doesn’t matter how close you are to that person, if it’s going to work, it will work. I don’t comprehend why you would let someone else affect one of the most important decisions of your life.
Along with not having to deal with high school drama, I get to experience a whole new environment; new school, new teachers, new coaches, new friends, new city, new state. I really think college is about starting fresh. And how fresh can you get than starting over completely. I know it will be hard leaving the people I really care about it, but I think the change is needed.
(440 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment