Sunday, October 7, 2012

It just Doesn't Add Up


It Just Doesn’t Add Up.
At the age of 18 they say I have the maturity to vote and the join the army, but yet I am still too childish to intake alcohol. Something just doesn’t add up to me. I’m not here saying the drinking age should be lowered, I just think all three topics should be associated with the same age.
A group of people argue that your brain isn’t fully developed till your early 20s and that’s why you shouldn’t consume alcohol before that age. But if my brain isn’t fully developed, why are they asking for me to vote? How is my brain developed enough to make such an important decision such as choosing who runs our country? And if the government doesn’t think I’m mature enough or developed enough to hold a drink in my hand, how on earth are they comfortable with me having a gun in my hand? It all just doesn’t make sense to me.
Some people also think 18 year olds shouldn’t have the opportunity to vote because they aren’t educated about politics. To be honest, I don’t think a lot of adults are very educated about what’s going on in the world today. For me, on voting, I don’t think it matters if you're 18 or 99 if you're not educated or informed about the politics involved, don’t vote.
My same opinion goes for joining the army, it doesn’t matter how old you are, it matters your maturity level. If you want to join the army, go ahead and join the army if you think that’s what you were meant to do in life. And the same goes for alcohol, if you aren’t mature enough to handle it, don’t drink it. It’s all about choices; whether you make the right or wrong choice ultimately it was your decision and your responsibility.
(310 words)

2 comments:

  1. Very true. The three should definitely be associated together again like it was when the drinking age was 18. I like your blog.
    -Norm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I never really thought about that- but good point!

    ReplyDelete